Friday, April 8, 2016

Hula Pie

 I have to admit that since I was introduced to this magnificent dessert just last month I am a little obsessed with it. It tastes so rich and nutty and is so easy to make! If you like macadamia nuts you will go crazy for this ice cream pie made famous in Hawaii. Seriously I am supposed to be dieting and I have had it three times this month.

You can make this all from scratch but it's not necessary to get a great tasting dessert that everyone will rave over.

1 Oreo cookie crust (you can make your own crust if you want with Oreos)
1.5 Quarts best quality ice cream. ( I used vanilla bean but if you can find Macadamia nut you are set!)
8 oz macadamia nuts (I liked salted)
1 bottle Mrs Richardson's Hot Fudge Sauce or any other good quality brand
Whipped Cream. (I whipped my own with lots of vanilla but cool-whip would work too)
Soften the ice cream for a few minutes while you rough chop the macadamia nuts. If you don't have an Oreo crust make one with crushed Oreo cookies and melted butter and press it into a pie pan.
Mix in about half of the nuts (you don't need to be precise) 
with the ice cream then scoop it into the crust.
Mound the ice cream up in the center so it looks nicer. I patted some chopped nuts into the top of this then froze the pie at this point in the freezer for at least 30 minutes but I would recommend an hour. This will really help to keep the pie from getting too soft when you put the chocolate layer on and the nuts on top will give the chocolate something to cling to instead of just sliding right off your pie.
After your pie has set up for at least 30+ minutes give the chocolate sauce a good stir to soften it up a bit but don't heat it. You might want to add a tablespoon of Hershey's syrup to help make it a good spreading consistency but no more than that or it will just slide right on off your pie! If you prefer you can make your own chocolate sauce but it needs to be thick so it will cling to the top of the pie. I think it looks nice to have it spread rustic style with a bit of the ice cream peaking through the edges. Makes it easier to spread too. Move quickly with this step because that ice cream melts fast especially if you live in the blazing desert like me. (it was 112 degrees today) After you get the chocolate spread the way you like add the leftover chopped nuts to the top. Rush the pie back to the freezer before you are too tempted to start eating and let it set up for at least an hour or more. I left it over night.

Each pie can be cut into 8 pieces easily because any more than that and you and your family will pass out it is so rich and yummy. I topped each piece with whipped cream but you could get by without it if you wanted. I did myself a favor and did not add up the calorie count for this. Why spoil the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment