Friday, April 8, 2016

Perfect Summer Picnic Fare

Breaded chicken strips have always been some of my family's favorite picnic fare.  When my daughter, and then my husband, needed to go gluten free, we tried several of the gf chicken nuggets on the market, but were very unhappy with them.   I had a recipe from the Sunset Italian cookbook that we all loved, so I decided to find a way to modify that recipe.  Turns out it was very simple to do, and the chicken was so delicious that I didn't even miss the bread crumbs.  In fact, I like this better than the original!
I needed something special to go with the chicken, and I have been craving some good potato salad like my mother used to make for a couple of years now. I haven't made any because only my husband and I like potato salad.  This weekend I indulged myself and made some just for the two of us.  My husband kept commenting on how much he liked it all through the meal, and said I could make this any time I wanted.  He even remarked on it again at breakfast the next day!  My son even said that he didn't mind it.  I think I see more potato salad in my future.  My mother used to decorate the salad with a ring of sliced radishes around the edge of the bowl.  I didn't have any radishes so I couldn't do that but the salad was still absolutely delicious even without them.  To make the preparation easier, scrub the potatoes, boil them with the skins on, cool in ice water and then peel.  The skins slip right off!

 

Breaded Chicken Strips

4 Chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" strips
1 cup GF all purpose flour (I used Trader Joe's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
1 Egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
1 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Olive oil
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Place the flour in a pie pan.  Place the Parmesan cheese and the Italian herbs in a second pie pan and stir to combine. Lightly dust the chicken strips with the flour.  Dip the dusted chicken into the egg mixture and then roll it in the Parmesan cheese mixture.  Place the chicken in the skillet and cook until golden brown on one side, about 2 minutes.  Turn the chicken over and continue cooking until the other side is golden and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes more.  Remove chicken from pan and place on paper towels to cool.  Be careful not to overcook the chicken or it will be dry and tough.  This will take several batches in the skillet and you may need to wipe out the pan and replenish it with new oil and butter half way through the cooking.  Refrigerate and serve cold, or may serve warm.  These pack up perfectly for a picnic.  Serves 4.

Potato Salad

5 Medium russet potatoes, boiled peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
2 Hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 Tbsp minced yellow onion
1/4 cup Chopped celery
1 cup Miracle Whip (NOT mayonnaise)
1/2 cup Milk
1/4 tsp Ground celery seed
1/4 tsp Dill weed
1/4 tsp Paprika, plus more for garnish
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
Place the diced potatoes, eggs, onion and celery in a medium sized bowl.  Mix all remaining ingredients together in a large cup until smooth, and pour over the potato mixture.  Gently mix together and chill for at least an hour.  Sprinkle lightly with paprika and serve.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment