Friday, April 8, 2016

July 4th Trifle

TrifleFor Christmas this past year I purchased two trifle dishes.  We were having a themed Christmas Dinner, which is a new tradition we are starting.  We chose English Christmas as I found prime rib at an awesome price. To go with the theme I made trifles for dessert.  I will have to post more on the Christmas dinner another time.  So, now that I have trifle dishes I love to make them.
I find that you can make any kind of trifle, you just need a basic formula:
Here is my basic trifle formula
some sort of cake: I have used spice cake, white, pound and angel.  They are all yummy
some sort of pudding
a yummy add in like chocolate chunks or fruit
optional items: gelatin, whipped creme, dolce de leche,
Just have fun and layer, layer layer
Here are the details for our Fourth of July trifle.
IMG_0641A-281x300
Ingredients
1 loaf pound cake
1 loaf angel food cake
3 oz blue raspberry gelatin
3oz strawberry gelatin
lg. vanilla pudding
fresh strawberries
fresh blueberries
Instructions
Made up both packages of gelatin separately . I used the quick set method.  I dissolved the gelatin in one cup of boiling water then added 6 ice cubes.  Stirred until ice cubes were dissolved.  The instructions said to wait 15 minutes for a soft set.  I then made up a small package of pudding. I think it needed more pudding and so I put the larger size in the ingredient list.  Then I cut up the cake into pieces.  I made sure each piece had some white showing.  Then I emptied the dishwasher and loaded it again.  Perfect timing, the gelatin was at soft set stage.  You can omit this step and just time the gelatin but really who doesn't need to get some dishes done?
Now, take the cake and layer it in the bottom of your trifle dish.  Make sure to put the white side out so it would show through the glass.  I used pound cake on the bottom.Next put a layer of strawberry gelatin.  Then a layer of fresh strawberries.  Pour half of the pudding on for the next layer.  Put another layer of cake with cut sides out.  I used angel food this time.  Then a layer of blue gelatin topped with blueberries. Followed with some more cake and the remainder of the pudding.  For the top I arranged blueberries and strawberries. Next time I will put the strawberries on the edge with the blueberries all in the middle.
This was as yummy as it looked and was pretty simple too!

No comments:

Post a Comment