Friday, April 8, 2016

Peanut Butter Ginger Beef

This is a flavorful dinner even if you aren't trying to lose weight but at about 350 calories per serving it sure will help out if you are.
  • 1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1-2 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3/4 pound top round steak cut into thin strips
  • 2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root (at least)
  • 2 cups baby carrots cut in half or quarters lengthwise
  • 2 cups broccoli cut in small florets
  • 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
  • 2 scallions sliced
In a small bowl mix together the soya sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes and 1/4 cup water. The peanut butter won't mix in well but that's okay.  Cut every single veggie and all the meat etc and have it ready to go because once you get stir frying you won't have time to stop and get the next ingredient ready. This comes together very quickly once things are chopped.

You can use ground ginger for this recipe ( 1/2 tsp) but the flavor is just not the same. I keep a large ginger root in my freezer at all times because it adds so much flavor to dishes. If you keep it in the freezer it will last forever it seems.

I just peel back (with a potato peeler or the back of a spoon) roughly the portion I will be grating for the recipe and after I grate what I want I put it back in the freezer. Honestly I always try to be a little heavy handed with the ginger because I love it so much. So if you don't love it like I do cut back.
One more tip: When slicing meat thin for stir frying etc I think it helps to put the meat the freezer while I am prepping everything else because it really firms it up and it is easier to slice. Don't freeze it for hours or anything because it will be too wet and won't brown when you fry it up. So I slice the meat up last and I don't keep it with my veggies. I just don't like to mix raw meat and anything else but a marinade.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or a wok over high heat until it is very hot then add 2 Tbsp of the oil. Stir-fry the steak about 2 minutes then add the ginger.
 
Cook 2 more minutes stirring constantly. Remove the meat from the wok. Add the leftover 1 Tbsp oil and stir fry carrots for 1 min stirring constantly.
 
Add the broccoli and garlic and continue stirring.for one more minute. Add 2 Tbsp of water and put the lid on the wok or pan.
 
Keep it covered for about another minute to let the veggies steam. Return the meat to the wok and add the peanut butter mixture. Stir fry for another minute. Add the scallions and remove from heat.
Serve immediately. It would be perfect to serve this with rice and brown rice is the best for health and weight loss.
Serves 4
  

No comments:

Post a Comment