Friday, April 8, 2016

Veggie Fried Rice

I used to make lots of this rice when I was trying to really stretch the food budget. I use what ever vegetables I have on hand. We have a garden every summer so squash and zucchini was always plentiful. Broccoli is almost a must and also carrots but don't stop there. Be creative and use up those vegetables hanging around your fridge. Special thanks to my friend Lori who taught me how to perfect my basic fried rice. A couple of things to start (thanks Lori). Always start with cold rice or leftover rice is even better. Use bacon then you never have to add oil. Don't freak out when you see all the rendered bacon grease because it is going to taste really good. Dice before you get started cooking. Keep stirring once you get started cooking. Make sure each ingredient is cooked how you like it before you add the thing because it won't cook much after. This can just be rice, bacon, eggs and onions if you want. But of course I love to add veggies and make it more of a main dish not just a side. Either way it is yummy!
So start with a hot wok or nonstick pan and stir fry 3 slices of cut up bacon. After it is cooked how you like it move it to the sides of the wok and add the chopped onion and continue stirring.
See it looks like alot of bacon fat but keep going. Stir until the onion is cooked how you like it. Then crack three eggs right into the center and stir, stir, stir.
Cook until the eggs are cooked like you want. This is the time to add your veggies. I used broccoli, carrots, celery and slivered leeks in this batch. Stir fry until the veggies are just a bit crisp if you like a little crunch like me. I add some soya sauce as well as I am stir frying this all together. Finally add the rice (about 3+ cups) and lots more soya sauce. Probably 1/4 cup. This particular batch of rice was half brown and half white. Stir it well to brown it up. I love this with sweet and sour sauce on the side too.

No comments:

Post a Comment